Hours of Operation (for material drop off and pick up)
*Due to the Governors “Stay at Home Order,” the Compost Facility will not open on April 1st and will remain closed until further notice. Compost applications that were recently submitted will not be issued until the borough re-opens.*
Monday 7:30 am to 3 pm
Tuesday 7:30 am to 5 pm
Wednesday 7:30 am to 3 pm
Thursday 7:30 am to 5 pm
Friday 7:30 am to 3 pm
Saturday 7:30 am to 5 pm
The Borough may close the facility at any time due to lack of operational space or material processing.
Mulch loading service available on Mondays & Fridays ONLY, from 7:30 am to 8:30 am.
Compost Facility Improvements – 2020
We are in the process of finalizing improvements to the Compost Facility located at 422 S. 24th Street. Facility upgrades will be completed prior to the facility opening on Wednesday, April 1, 2020. These site improvements assure the facility continues to serve as an economically and environmentally beneficial alternative to landfill disposal. One important addition is an automated gate that opens using access cards that will be issued by the Borough. The new access system ensures the Borough can monitor persons entering the facility and limit access to outside commercial contractors as necessary.
All persons wishing to use the facility in the 2020 season must obtain an access card in order to drop-off yard waste or to pick up leaf compost or mulch. Compost Facility Registration begins Monday, February 24 and must be completed in person at the Borough office. The Registration Forms are available below for download or you may pick one up at the office. You will also find a map showing the facility upgrades and the new entry.
Please follow these key points as we transition to the new program:
- Access cards are available for purchase by persons from Camp Hill only Monday through Friday 8 am to 4 pm at the Borough office.
- The cost is $15 for residents and $800 for approved local contractors. Access cards are valid on a calendar year basis. Please have a valid form of ID upon purchase. Replacement cards are $5.
- Do not throw away your access card. It will be reused each year upon renewal.
- You must submit your completed Registration Form at the time you purchase the access card.
- Access cards may not be shared with any persons not living in your household.
- The automated gate and facility is under surveillance to assure only authorized persons and acceptable materials enter the facility.
- Please keep your access card in your car. Upon entry, swipe the reader on the left-hand side to raise the lift-arm. Upon exit, you do not need to swipe. Just approach the lift-arm slowly and the arm will raise so you may exit.
- Please follow the instructions posted on the new signs at the compost facility, drive slowly, and exercise care as you enter and exit the facility.
We look forward to operating the upgraded site in 2020 and beyond.
Benefits Leaf Mulch and Leaf Compost
Did you ever consider leaving your fall leaves (leaf litter mulch) in your flower beds for the winter? The benefits of leaf litter mulch can help buffer soil temperatures to keep soil warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, thereby protecting plants. Leaf mulch can also help in retaining soil moisture which lessens the need for irrigation.
Did you know that we produce leaf compost each year? Leaf composting makes a dark, rich, earthy organic matter that can be used like soil. It adds nutrients to garden soil and the larger particle size helps enhance the tilth and loosen compacted earth. Compost will also help retain moisture and repels weeds when used as a top dressing or mulch.