2021 CAMP HILL ENVIRONMENTAL CLUB
C.H.E.C.’s ONLY “Agenda” = protecting and improving the water, air, land, flora and fauna for our children and grandchildren.
C.H.E.C.’s only meetings are held at 7:30 am at the West Shore Plaza Family Restaurant on the morning of each Adopt-a-Highway event.
The Environmental Club picks up litter on Borough streets, promotes recycling efforts (including community athletic events), encourages best Stormwater Management Practices, maintains a riparian buffer at the back of Camp Hill’s Siebert Park, and cleans the Conodoguinet Creek 5 times a summer.
- Adopt-a-Highway Cleanups are March 13, May 8 , July 10 , and Oct. 16. Each event is preceded by breakfast at 7:30am at the West Shore Plaza Family Restaurant.
- Camp Hill’s “Quadrant” Cleanup “windows” are April 1-30 (southwestern), June 1-30, (west of 32nd Street, including November Dr. neighborhood), August 1-31 (southeastern); October 1-31 (Siebert Park/Country Club Hills).
- Riparian Buffer Maintenance – C.H.E.C. will maintain the 108 trees at the back of C. H. Siebert Park along the Conodoguinet Creek. We will replace about 10+ trees sometime in March or April and water the trees, as needed, throughout the summer in times of drought. Paul Garrett will have all supplies. (details tba)
- Conodoguinet Creek Cleanups are May 15, June 19, July 17, August 21, and Sept 18.
Details for the following events will be announced later in an email (or phone call):
- March 13, Adopt-a-Highway (Market Street) – preceded by breakfast/short meeting at 7:30 am at the W.S. Plaza Restaurant or an 8:00 Zoom meeting.
- April 1-30 “Window”, Southwestern Quadrant street cleanup. Details tba.
- May 8, Adopt-a-Highway (Market Street) – preceded by breakfast/short meeting at 7:30 am at the W.S. Plaza Restaurant or an 8:00 Zoom meeting. Details tba
- May 15, Saturday, 8:45 – 12noon, Conodoguinet Creek Clean-up. Details tba.
- June 1-30 “Window”, West of 32nd Street cleanup, including November Dr. neighborhood. Details tba
- June 19, Saturday, 8:45 – 12noon, Conodoguinet Creek Cleanup. Details tba.
- July 10, Adopt-a-Highway (Market Street) – preceded by breakfast/short meeting at 7:30 at the W.S. Plaza Restaurant or an 8:00 Zoom meeting. Details tba.
- July 17, Saturday, 8:45 – 12noon, Conodoguinet Creek Cleanup Details tba.
- August 1-31 “Window”, Southeastern Quadrant street cleanup. Details tba.
- August 21, Saturday, 8:45 – 12noon, Conodoguinet Creek Cleanup. Details tba.
- September 18, Saturday, 8:45- 12noon, Conodoguinet Creek Cleanup. Details tba.
- October 1-31 “Window”, Cleanup of C.H.’s Siebert Park and Country Club Hills. Details tba.
- October 16, Adopt-a-Highway (Market Street) – preceded by breakfast /short meeting at 7:30 at the W.S. Plaza Restaurant or an 8:00 Zoom meeting. Details tba.
Important- If you plan to participate in the Creek Cleanup PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
- You must Pre-register with Condoguinet Creek Watershed Association.
- Questions: call Paul Garrett 717-737-2554 or 717-514-3546
- ***Please dress according to the weather forecast for each Saturday morning. In May and September, err on the side of you being warm. The water and/or air can be cool. Long sleeves, long pants perhaps. Wool works well.
- Wear old sneakers with “decent tread” or creek shoes. It is recommended that you wear longer, thicker padded socks that will make it less likely that you feel every grain of sediment that enters your shoe. No sandals or shoes that are open in the back. Baseball caps and or sunglasses work well.
- The CCWA policy for ALL YOUTH participating in a Conodoguinet Creek Cleanup is:
- Minimum age to participate is 10 years old.
- All participants 4 feet- 4 feet 6 inches need to supply and wear their own correct-sized, life jackets at all times, while in the water.
- All participants ages 10 – 13 need to be supervised by an adult. Ratio= 1 adult to 3 youth. and how much time you have.
- *** If the creek is too high, too murky, running too fast, or too dangerous for any other reason, the creek cleanup will be called off by Friday noon. If you have given email@example.com your email address, you will be given notice. We will try again on the 3rd Saturday of the following “cleanup month”, same time, same station.
Any questions? Contact Paul Garrett 514-3546 or firstname.lastname@example.org.